Monday, July 30, 2012

a wicked weekend

My mister & I were able to get away for a couple of days
 this weekend, a honeymoon of sorts.
I know we aren't newly weds, but I looked up the definition
& in addition to a vacation or trip taken by a newly married couple,
it also included 'any period of blissful harmony'.
A weekend away, just the two of us, is definitely my idea of blissful harmony.
I was thinking about this 'honeymoon thing' on our drive-
a delightfully quiet drive.
I think honeymoons are wasted on the young. 
 That may seem harsh, but seriously give your selves a few years,
 then you'll really know what to do!
I remember when the young Kelly (yes this soap box has made me so delusional I am referring to myself in the third person) was
 'exhausted' from the pains of planning a wedding,
 and thought she deserved a little honeymoon (which rightfully, we both did).
Fast forward 6 years, this Kelly is breastfeeding a newborn, while cooking macaroni & cheese, and listening to her two little boys fight over the remote control, intimidated by the piles of laundry & needing a hug from her hubby, all this and wearing a girdle in a slim (no punt intended) attempt to put "things" back into a post baby place. She really deserved a honeymoon.
The Kelly of now has traded in the nursing bras and midnight feedings for a mini van which she is running the wheels off thanks to the activities of her three busy chickens. Colic and teething is replaced with talks of puberty (yikes-I know) and FHE's filled with heavy topics such as the law of chastity (double yikes!).  After a summer of entertaining, feeding and cleaning up after kids, and more kids, and friends of kids I definitely am looking forward to a honeymoon.
I don't know if any of this rambling has come
full circle with any sort of 'moral to the story',
but it has made me realize that no matter where you are in life one of the best things you can do is make arrangements for the kids, pack your bags and take your love by the hand and get out for a little bit.  You will both be better partners to each other & better parents because of it.
Trenton was not happy I was snapping pictures of him driving,
but he turned on an old hip-hop/rap station & was just singing away!
(How come I can't remember 7 items at the grocery store without a list,
but I do know all the lyrics to an Ace of Base song I haven't heard for 11 years?)
I was loving it! Made me feel like a dreamy love struck teen!
We had an awesome dinner with Ty & Amy.
Then she & I went to 'Wicked'.
I cannot say enough about this show!
Totally supertastic, wonderfully amazing!
Completely breathtaking!
If you have the chance to go I highly recommend it!
I love the feel downtown SLC.
The architecture of all the old buildings,
 the beautiful temple square,
& all the delicious restaurants,
We found a 2 for 1 'date night' coupon to Lagoon
(Shhhh don't tell our kids!)
We had a blast!
It was so fun to play in the park without all the strollers, coolers & kids;
 yet strangely I felt a little guilty most of the time that we
were having so much fun without them!
Parenthood does the freakiest things to your emotions!
So I have become quite a wimp in my old age!
Wicked & The Spider were awesome,
but The White Roller Coaster & Colossus nearly did me in!
Good times, & great friends!
Thanks for a great weekend baby!
I sure love your guts!

No comments:

Post a Comment